So Today in science, I learned about the Incident Command System and I am supposed to describe it in 150 words. It may be boring but please, bare with me!
The Incident Command System
The Incident Command System or I.C.S is the Command System in charge of basically the whole United States. It wasn’t always the United States though. It was originally called F.I.R.E.S.C.O.P.E. which stands for Firefighting Resources of Southern California Organized for Potential Emergencies. All though it is self explanatory I will continue to bore you for the sake of I have no idea. Southern California had many fires like it does today and they needed an Organization to control it. They eventually converted it to the United States. There are 5 I.C.S concepts.
1. Unity of Command: basically you need to know who’s in charge of who. Like Bobby’s in charge of Franny who is in charge of John who is in charge of Becky who is in charge of Tammy and so on.
2. Common Terminology: different divisions have different codes. Like if you see a guy kidnapping a little girl you call out ” Book Shining On My Boot That Tastes Good On My Banana” and your friend tackles the guy.
3. Management by Objectives: you need to start one thing and finish it before you move on. Like you can’t be in the middle of a football game and then say I don’t want to do this anymore and quit. You have to finish the game
4. Flexibility and Modular Organization: you need to end your mission and finish it without any delays. Like your planning your schedule and you get a call from Becky saying she wants to have lunch at 1 o’clock and you get a call from Mark saying he needs you at work in 25 minutes. Then you get a reminder on your phone saying that you have to babysit your Mom’s Cousin’s Mom’s Son’s Son’s Wife’s Son’s baby that afternoon.
5. Span of Control: you never need to be in charge of 7 or more people. You don’t need to be in charge of Mark,Eve,Sally,Mary.John,Max and Donna.
Now lets get down to the structure. In command of it all is the Incident Commander. He or She is in control of the Safety, Info and Liaison officers. They are in charge of the four groups: Operation Section, Planning Section, Logistics Section and the Finance/Admin Section. Well that is what the I.C.S is. Hope you enjoyed.